Friday, September 13, 2013

Week 5?

OK, it's week five? Oops, I thought we were on week four.  It was a good week.  We did a bunch of different things this week.


In OM3, we continued with the stories and read about a girl of the Kush people (south of Egypt.)  DH illustrated a picture from the story and we watched a brief National Geographic clip about the Kush.

In OM4, week four of the lesson guide, we researched animals of south Florida--both those that live here now, and in the past.  Found out that 10,000+ years ago, Florida was much larger.  DS illustrated some of the animals in his lesson book.

In Galore Park Junior, we read a story about an Indian girl and did the exercises.

DS finished, "The Search for Delicious," so I had him write a "real" book report on it.  His answers were as short as possible, so I decided to use the BraveWriter partnership writing technique and basically was his scribe.  I asked the questions for the book report, and then wrote his answers.  That seemed to work really well--he gave really well thought-out answers.  So, I think we're going to do more partnership writing, and then add in some copywork to help him work on writing speed/skill.

Created a copywork sheet for DS to learn the Tashahuud in English/Arabic.  While DH can read Arabic, I don't know it well enough to help him with his Arabic script, so we used transliteration.  I used this copywork program.

Decided that when possible, we're going to do "fun" math on Fridays--so RightStart games, codes/puzzles, etc.  Today, DS did a riddle that involved multiplication tables.  You find the answer to the problem which equals a letter.  Eventually, you fill out the entire answer. "What shape does a Tyrannosaurus like best?"    "A Rex-Tangle."  LOL :)

Oh!  Finally, I found this neat Steiner verse which I really like.  We may use it next week.


I place myself steadfastly into existence

With certainty I tread the path of life
Love I nurse in the core of my being
Hope I lay into all my doing
Confidence I impress into my thinking.

- Rudolph Steiner

No comments:

Post a Comment