Saturday, October 19, 2013

Fondant Eid Sheep

So, going to veer a bit off-topic and talk about Eid-ul-Adha.  I had made my first batch ever of marshmallow cream fondant earlier this week so I could make daisies for my daughter's Girl Scout daisy troop. (On brownies...natch.)



They turned out 1000x better than I thought they would...as I'm not crafty, and my idea of decorating is to add sprinkles.

Thing is, even though I made a small batch using a 7 oz. jar of marshmallow cream, I still had a ton left over.

Enter the Eid-ul-Adha picnic.




I decided to make sheep for a cake.  Now, all over the internet it says how difficult it is to make black fondant.  Amazon could not get me some in time...so what to do.  Well, a year ago, my eldest had wanted a kitty litter cake...and one of the decorations for that involves nuking tootsie rolls until soft.  So, I decided to try and nuke some tootsie rolls to serve for the black part of the sheep.  It turned out really good.  Added bonus is that both the marshmallow fondant and the tootsie rolls are yummy...and gelatin free.

Score!

Here's the recipe I used for marshmallow fondant.
1 7 oz. jar of Marshmallow Fluff
1 lb. box of powdered sugar
1-2 tsp. vanilla extract  (optional)
butter or Crisco for your hands  

So I buttered a large bowl and my hands and plopped in the marshmallow cream.  Then I added the vanilla and about 1/2 the powdered sugar.  You knead like crazy (I did it in the bowl) until it resembles play dough and is not sticky.  I think I used about 3/4s of a box of powdered sugar.  Refrigerate it for a day or two until you need it.  I put mine in a buttered bowl with plastic wrap (sprayed with Pam) on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment